Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bastille Day - July 14th 2011


The day before Bastille day was dampened by torrential rain and thunderstorms, unusual for July.
However it dried up for the evening market in the village.
At around 10 pm a procession went through the village with children carrying lanterns and a band playing some rousing music!
And then, starting at 11 pm, a live band playing in the village square.
Bastille Day, a Mistral wind has blown away the clouds and the sun is shining......
The village traditionally holds a Vide Grenier, and it attracts a huge crowd, this is the road, Chemin de Romanet, normally quiet with no cars!
All the streets are lined with stalls selling everything you can imagine!
some of it quality , some of it, well to one's personal taste!
I must be losing my negotiation skills - I attempted to buy two teapots from one seller - the lady wanted 8€, I offered 5€, No, I increased to 6€, still no, the ladies husband suggested she compromise at 7€, and still the lady said no! so I bought some rather nice vegetable dishes instead for my 7€! Principle really - and I don't drink tea!

All the local commerce's are open to serve all the extra customers - its a great atmosphere.
Our Boulangerie, one of two in the village,  has a wonderful choice of bread.
July 14th 2012 will be on a Saturday - time to book next years holiday and enjoy the fun!








1 comment:

joanngouzoules@yahoo.com said...

Well done David!! and very tempting. JoAnn Gouzoules, Duxbury, MA USA